- All Women's Brands
- Calvin Klein
- Eileen Fisher
- INC International Concepts
- Lauren Ralph Lauren
- MICHAEL Michael Kors
- Style & Co
- Tommy Hilfiger
Looking for the perfect prom dress? Look no further than Macy’s—your dress destination for a fresh selection of prom dresses to flatter your figure, from designers like XSCAPE, City Chic, and Betsy & Adam. We even have styles for petite, plus size and curvy ladies. So, plan ahead to avoid the rush and shop Macy’s for a prom queen worthy dress!
What style dress should I get?
1. Gown and Ball Gown. To be the bell of the ball, go with a full-length gown. Whether it’s slimming and sleek or has a full skirt that’s big and bouncy, you’ll be sure to make a show-stopping entrance in a full-length gown. Illusion gowns are a popular pick, this design allows you to show off a glimmer of skin while maintaining a super-glam yet sophisticated look.
Helpful hint: Gowns are great for curvier shapes or plus sizes. The more flow it has, the more flattering it can be. A ball gown with a fuller skirt is ideal if you have a rectangular shape, as it adds the appearance of curvy hips.
2. Fit & Flare Dress. And fit to flatter. Fit and flare dresses are fitted through the bodice and waist then flare at, or below the hips. They are made to showcase your waist while the fuller, flowy skirt balances the look—available in both short and long options. Short styles with floral patterns are super-cute for a youthful look, and also if you’re petite! A long fit and flare in lace creates an elegant ensemble.
Helpful hint: If you have a full bust, a fit and flare is the dress for you. It balances your fuller upper half by cinching at the waist and gliding over your hips. This style is also good for pear shapes as the full skirt will easily float over your curvier bottom half.
3. Off-The-Shoulder Dress. Dare to bare, with an off the shoulder dress. Its straps sit just barely off your shoulders. To highlight the look, add a statement necklace that hits at your collar bone. Remember, an off the shoulder dress focuses on baring the top of your back too so don’t forget about the back detail! Select a style with ruffles that cascade down the back to add a bit of romance to the look.
Helpful hint: Off-the-shoulder dresses are a great choice if you have a rectangular shape, as it highlights your shoulders.
4. Halter Dress. A halter dress features a mostly covered neckline where the straps are tied (or fastened) behind the neck, leaving the shoulders exposed. This style dress draws the eye up toward your gorgeous face. Pair it with an up-do hairstyle and statement earrings to accentuate the look.
Helpful Hint: Halter dresses that are slim fitting are perfect for hourglass shapes to help showcase your defined, proportional curves and small waistline.
5. Two-Piece Dress. Having a hard time picking just one dress? Pick a two-piece! Two-piece crop top dresses and gowns continue to rock the prom red carpet and create a youthful yet cultivated vibe. Two-piece dresses are meant for fun: go bold with bright colors, patterns and florals. Add that extra wow-factor with embellishments and rhinestones. A two-piece dress is sure to make an unforgettable prom entrance.
Helpful Hint: Two-piece dresses look great on just about any body type, especially shapes that are rectangular or with a full bust.
Prom with us? Find your dream prom dress to make your night one to remember, available at Macy’s!